Friday, January 21, 2011

Origin of Dancing

Why do people dance when they hear music? Of course, not every person dances-- some people tap their feet, some hum along, some play the air drums. My point is that music tends to invoke a physical reaction in people. What possible reasons could account for this?

I'm not interested in a psychological answer for why people might be inclined to respons physically to musical stimulus, since it is already ingrained in most cultures. There are too many possible answers to be able to find one that stands out as true. My real interest is to find an understanding of how these seemingly unrelated things became associated with each other in the first place.

I don't have any answers, or even any ideas on where to start looking. I guess a library wouldn't be a bad place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment